Sunday, 23 October 2011

In my Mailbox #24 [The Long Goodbye]

In my Mailbox is a weekly meme started by The Story Siren which gives bloggers a chance to showcase all the books they received in the previous week (for review, bought, borrowed, ect...) but for which they sometimes have no space to showcase in detail on their blogs.

eARCs:

Death Watch by Ari Berk
At the moment I'm extremely fond of the dead and the underworld. This title has been on my wish list for about half a year and I'm extremely happy that Simon & Schuster featured it in their October newsletter.

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting
A book the bloggosphere has been abuzz about for quite some time already and many bloggers had it in their August newsletter - I didn't, so here it is now. I didn't read Derting's other books and I'm not a very big fan of Dystopia, but I think there is no path leading past this one.
*thanks to Simon & Schuster for granting me access to Death Watch and The Pledge.

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel
Steampunk meets Supernatural. Gail Carriger and Kady Cross are very successful in that department and I have a feeling that this one is going to be great, too!
*thanks to Del Rey Books via netGalley for giving me access to this title.


Bought:

Red Glove by Holly Black
I read this as an eARC and although it wasn't as great as White Cat, it was still great. I finally had the order-space to get myself a finished copy, so here it is.
Shelfability: Acquire.

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
This one has been on my wish list for a long while and now I finally got my hands on the first book (not that book #3 just came out, I'm so behind on this...). I love everything dark and mysterious, this is at the top of my reading pile (which is ginormous at the moment) and I can't wait to dig in.

Personal Demons by Lisa DesRochers
This one has been on my wish list for an even longer while. I think I already had my eye on this while I still lived in London (*ponders*). Anyway, I got it now, I already finished it and I absolutely loved it! 
Shelfability: Covet.

After Obsession by Carrie Jones & Steven E. Wedel
I absolutely love Jones' Need Pixies Series and this was a must have. The plot sounds great, it's set in the same town as Need Pixies (I think) and even the cover matches the series! Can't wait to get started ;)

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
I have only just started reading this and so far so good, I haven't had anything set in space in a really long time. Glow really gripping and well written, even though I'm still not really friends with any of the characters. I hope that is going to change soon.

All these things I've done by Gabrielle Zevin
I just finished Elsewhere and it was pretty good. I hope that this is going to be even better, it sounds like prohibition with chocolate and coffee instead of alcohol (I so could not survive that >.<). Btw, this is the US hardback edition because the UK paperback looks like something I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole (even though they've already changed it, I just noticed, but still no improvement...) :P

Signed:

Lovely Amy Plum sent me a signed bookplate for Die For Me for a review I wrote for the British Amazon Store. I was totally excited when I got mail from France(!) and this bookplate is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks Amy!





So, that's it from me this week.
Although there is some more to say. As most of you have surely noticed already, I haven't posted much over the past few weeks and I'm tired of making excuses. Fact is, my work eats my life currently and I have neither the time nor the energy to do much else than sleep, eat and work. So I am very sad to say that this blog is going into a part-hibernation. I will try to post an IMM like this once a month, but other than that I'm out until after Christmas. Next month brings the added "stress" of NaNoWriMo, and I've got  vocational training in December and January, so I'm not sure how much time there will be for reading at all. If you want to, you can follow my reading progress on Goodreads, I'll say a few words about every book I read, but there won't be any complete reviews for a while.
You guys have been great, thanks for an exciting time in the book bloggosphere!
Much love, The Book Shop Assistant no more.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful haul! I really want to read Die For Me it sounds great. I also really enjoyed Dearly, Departed.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the signed copy of Die For Me!

    I picked up those same 3 eARCs you have.. lol.. also wanting to read All These Things I've Done.. heard it's good!

    Michele
    IMM | 2 (ending-soon) giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeay! i also bought The Dark Divine this week! great IMM! i want to get All these things ive done and Glow, and gya! Die for me! great books this week, enjoy!

    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked Die for Me and hope you will too. I've got to Read The Pledge as well. Enjoy your new books. Come visit me over at Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some great books this week for sure I want to read at least 5 of them!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading Dearly, Departed now and really enjoying it! I hope that you enjoy your new books!

    Kristina
    Ladybug Storytime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great set! So cool that you got a signed bookplate for Die For Me. I loved that book.
    I love the cover for Red Glove.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great group of books! I really enjoyed Dearly, Departed - I don't know how Habel made zombies loveable, but she totally did. I just finished Glow last night too, and it was fun. I want the sequel now!

    My IMM is over here if you'd like to stop by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Haul!
    Dearly, Departed is amazing hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that the U.K cover of Glow ? I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jess: It is! It's really pretty, with Waverly on the front and Kieran on the back. And it's coated in that way that makes it feel all soft, almost waxed :) really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love so many of these books! All These Things I've Done is fantastic, and so is Glow! I'm reading Dearly, Departed now and it's incredible so far!

    Hope you enjoy all of your new books! (:

    http://thepagesage.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-5.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...