Sunday, 21 October 2012

Books & Love Letters #45 [The Calm Between Storms]

Books & Love Letters is a weekly post in which I discuss all the books I received in the previous week (for review, bought, borrowed, swapped ect...), tell you what I've read and reviewed and showcase all the pretty letters that come to my mailbox.
Lovely Laura from The Traveling Owl lent the name and hosts the original Books & Love Letters post.

Hello Out There!
So apparently my hiatus went on a little longer than originally planned-or maybe a lot longer. I had a firm plan to get back to blogging right at the beginning of September, when all the CampNaNo craziness had calmed down a little.
Yeah.
And then life got in the way. And now it's two sundays before the next NaNo session starts. I will try to blog for those two weeks, there's a ton of reviews I have to write and post, there's a giveaway on Tuesday (I hope) and there are some really pretty covers I want to talk about...
But let's just have a look at my new books for now.
I haven't bought much while I was in the writing cave and I don't want to do a massive recap-post, so this is really what I brought home this week :)

New On The Shelves
Bought:

Nur Ein Kuss Von Dir by Sue Ransom
Finally, finally! The conclusion to Sue Ransom's awesome Small Blue Thing trilogy! I've been waiting for this book for ages! Will Alex and Callum find a way to be together or will death keep them apart?
While it is more geared at teens than young adults, it is so sigh-worthy romantic that I just had to love it-and the German covers are simply gorgeous. I'm sad to see this trilogy coming to an end, but I hear that Ransom is busy writing a new book!

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Another one I've been waiting for for ages! Admittedly I only read Lament at this point (Ballad & Scorpio Races are on my tbr pile), but Stiefvater's writing is just beautiful and the story sounds as creepy as it sounds romantic! I'm really excited for this one!

Duden. Spannend Schreiben by Hanns-Josef Ortheil
This little gem isn't actually a novel. For the non-Germans here: a Duden is usually an encyclopaedia or lexicon. This particular one is about writing crime thrillers and horror novels-so really, it's a craft book for creative writing. It came out last month and since I don't have a clue about writing murder mysteries, which could become painful in December (hint! hint! *blackerstoriesproject*), I snatched it up!

And lastly, a really big House of Night poster, which I didn't buy but got from the bookshop I work for. As you can see, in comparison to the books it is pretty big, it's from the German publisher of the series, FJB, and it has the cover girl from the 7th book on it.
I don't read the series so I'm going to give it away, on Tuesday (if I figure out how to set up a giveaway) and it will be international - so come back here on Tuesday if you want it! :D 

Recently Read
Endure by Carrie Ryan: Another of my favourite series that came to an end :( But I really enjoyed this ending! It was fast-paces, well-twisted (there was a point where I was so shocked I wanted to throw the book against the wall in outrage) and I loved the ending; mourning the dead but celebrating the romantic couples - and the survival of the word!
Looking forward to a new series by Carrie Ryan!
Shelfability: Acquire!

The Mephisto Kiss by Trinity Faergan: The first book in the series, The Mephisto Covenant, turned out to be a real guilty pleasure, aimed much more at older YA because of the high amount of (graphic) sex. This one was really tame in comparison, and it had new protagonists, which made me sad until I warmed up with the new couple. Also there was more light on the relationships between the Mephisto brothers, which I found really interesting.
Shelfability: Borrow; unless you collect, then you should acquire.

Speechless by Hannah Harrington: Somehow I was disappointed with this one. I really, really loved Saving June, which was raw and emotional and a real page-turner. And while this one has had an interesting premises, too, it wasn't quite so painfully raw and I missed that. It's still a great read, but it doesn't measure up to saving June.
Shelfability: Acquire.

Alright, that's it from me this week. I hope that next time will be less re-cap and more actual book-news and actual posts to discuss. Until then, have a nice weekend, enjoy your new books and don't for get to come back on Tuesday!

7 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read The Raven Boys, it looks so good. I'm currently reading Shiver and am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower! The Raven Boys was really good though not my favorite Maggie Stiefvater book. I'll be posting my review of it in the next week or two.

    Check out my IMM & SP.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im tempted to want to read Raven Boys since Ive seen it around so much.
    If you like feel free to stop by and check out my IMM...im a new follower...
    http://asoutherngirlsbookshelf.blogspot.com/2012/10/in-my-mailbox-imm-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post!! I'm about to start Need by Carrie Jones so I'm glad to hear that it's a good series

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always heard such great things about the Small Blue Things books! I'll have to give them a try soon. I still need to read Raven Boys---think I may need to make that my next book!

    Enjoy all the goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for The Raven Boys. I need to read this one soon too. :)
    You can see my IMM here.

    Happy reading!

    Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! Love that you got The Raven Boys since I'm a great fan of Maggie's writing. I have my copy ready to read in the next weeks:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...