4/5 **** One of the best single author short story collections I have read in quite a while
![]() |
| US/UK Paperback Edition |
The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
Author:
Holly Black
Publication History:
US Hardcover February 9th 2010 by Big Mouth House
US Kindle February 9th 2010 by Big Mouth House
US/UK Paperback March 22nd 2011 by McElderry
Genre:
YA, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Review
This is definitely one of the best short story collections that I have read in the past few months. All the stories are written in Black's unique, dark style that gives you shivers of horror and pleasure at the same time.
My definite favourites were "The Night Market" simply because I have a weakness for such markets and the other folks that visit them, "In Vodka Veritas" because I always had my suspicions about the Latin Club at my old school and "Paper Cuts Scissors" for bringing some of my favourite literary characters to life.
I also loved "The Land of Heart's Desire" for re-visiting the Modern Tales of Faerie, "The Dog King" because it is smart in the mean way and which I already knew and the collection's name sake "The Poison Eaters" which I already knew, too.
Really, actually I could list them all, for there is not one bad story in this collection.
Well done.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey