Hello, hello,
yet another week has passed and I'm back with more books! :)
Recently Read:
The Kingdom by Amanda Stevens: This is the second book in The Graveyard Queen Series and it was so good!I've been thoroughly creeped out. Stevens has a way to really raise the hair at the back of your neck. Amelia Grey is a fascinating character for me and I absolutely love the way her story is continued and enriched in the second book. I admit that I had some things figured out after about 150 pages but still Stevens' plot had had enough elements to keep me glued to the pages and I loved to see my guesses fall into place with the rest of the puzzle.
Shelfability: Acquire.
Shelfability: Acquire.
Review coming soon.
New On The Shelves:
eARCs:
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
I am not quite sure what grabbed my attention to this book. It is half coming-of-age, half science fiction and yet something in the description of the protagonist, Julia, made me request it.
The blurbs say it is written in a beautiful, sparse prose and I think somehow the whole package struck a note with me.
*thanks to Random House Publishing via netGalley for giving me access to this title.
Bought:
That Summer by Sarah Dessen
My first reaction to this book was o.O when it came in the mail: It's so thin! Only 198 pages! :lol:
Anyway, this was Dessen's debut and you quickly realise this while reading. Apart from the fact that it's much shorter than her later work I quickly found that the writing isn't quite as tight yet either. Over all the book wasn't bad for a debut but I'm glad to know that Dessen's writing has much improved since.
Anyway, this was Dessen's debut and you quickly realise this while reading. Apart from the fact that it's much shorter than her later work I quickly found that the writing isn't quite as tight yet either. Over all the book wasn't bad for a debut but I'm glad to know that Dessen's writing has much improved since.
Shelfability: Borrow.
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Ah, Neil Gaiman, one of my favourite British authors! Originally I wanted the blue children's edition of this book, but then I found this one in my local haunt and changed my mind. This is the HarperPerennial edition. I already have Coraline from HarperPerennial so this is a perfect fit.
About the story: It's about the living boy Nobody Owens, who lives among ghosts on a graveyard. Many years ago his family was killed by a man Jack and now Jack is back for Nobody.
I loved the short story THE WITCH'S HEADSTONE in M is for Magic, so The Graveyard Book was a must-have!
Looking for Alaska & Paper Towns by John Green
After reading TFiOS and loving it so much I decided it was time to get some more of Green's work. I wasn't much in love with the Katherines but everybody told me that LfA was just as good as TFiOS and it was worth a go. And while I was at it I ordered Paper Towns right along.
I already read Looking for Alaska, which was good - not as good as TFiOS but good - and I hope that I get to Paper Towns soon!
Shelfability for Alaska: Acquire.
Switched by Amanda Hocking
I guess everybody heard about Amanda Hocking at some point - the self-publishing queen. I have to admit I haven't read anything from her yet. Switched, her first publication with a major publishing house, is going to be my first and I am very excited to get started.
This is the St. Martin's Griffin/ Macmillan edition with the bonus story The Vittra Attacks.
Dreaming Awake by Gwen Hayes
I am very, very excited to finally hold this in hands! I really loved Falling Under, it was dark, sexy and exciting! And it left of with Theia and Haden both being demons on the way back to earth. So naturally I want to know what happens next! >.< Iiik, excited!
Okay, that's it from me - 7 new books o.O Oh God, I think a new book-buying-ban is in order. I have about 50 books and ARCs on my desk and I want to read them all but I don't know where to start >.< *sighs*
I'll set the ban to just under four weeks, ending with February 16th. The bets are on... :P
/Nickey

Switched and Dreaming Awake are in my wishlist! I loved Falling Under and I can't wait for the sequel. Hope you get to read Under the Never Sky! Happy reading!
ReplyDeleteSo envious of your copy of "Switched." I hope you enjoy reading it!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the ban! Mine only lasted two weeks and then I ended up with 24 new books. Fail!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!
My IMM @ The Aussie Zombie
Definitely need to read my Sarah Dessen book (This Lullaby) and Falling Under soon. Thanks sooo much for reminding me that these two are sitting on my shelf as well. :D
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the book buying ban! :)
Carina
Yeah for John Green! He is one of my favorite authors. Hope you enjoy those two books too!
ReplyDeleteEm
My IMM post
A Beautiful Madness
I can't count the number of good things I've heard lately about Amanda Hocking and "Switched." I really want to read it, to see what it's like! I hope you enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteI hope you love Paper Towns, it’s one of my favourites! (Also happy to hear that you enjoyed Alaska too!) I bought Switched this week as well. Can’t wait to read it!
ReplyDeleteGreat set! Good for you for getting John Green's older books. I want to read them.
ReplyDeleteMy IMM
Switched was suprisingly really enjoyable. I'm not usually into the royalty thing, but I found all of the characters fun to be around.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the cover for Dreaming Awake. I really enjoyed Switched I hope you like it! Great haul!
ReplyDeleteGiselle
Xpresso Reads
I NEED to read a John Green book! Like now! :P Also super excited to read Switched :)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy! New follower!
Meghan at Books and a Cup of Tea
I can't wait to read Switched and Dreaming Awake. I hope that you enjoy your new books!
ReplyDeleteKristina
Ladybug Storytime
Lots of John Green books! I've only read The Fault in Our Stars but I loved it so much that I'm eventually going to get looking for Alaska and Paper Towns. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
ReplyDeleteCrystal @ Elegantly Bound Books