Sunday, 15 July 2012

In My Mailbox #44 [Christmas? Birthday? Both?]

Books & Love Letters is a weekly post in which I discuss all the books I received in the previous week (for review, bought, borrowed, swapped ect...), tell you what I've read and reviewed and showcase all the pretty letters that come to my mailbox.
Lovely Laura from The Traveling Owl lent the name and hosts the original Books & Love Letters post.


Hello lovelies!
I'm amazed people are still coming to read this, even though currently I'm writing as regularly as the weather forecast is right... :/ Two weeks ago I admitted that CampNaNo ate my soul and quite frankly it is refusing to give it back. I have produced another 5k and the end is not in sight.
I apologies for the spotty amount of posts and even more so for the fact that it's not going to get better at least until September :/ APOLOGIES!
Anyway, you are here for the books, so you shall have a look at them:

New On The Shelves
ARCs:

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Peter Pan is one of my most beloved classic fairy tales and I am so excited to finally get to read more about Tiger Lily's story. It is told from Tink's point of view and I've had my eye on this book for almost six months! So excited to finally have my own copy on top of my ever growing reading pile!

The Dead Girls Detective Agency by Suzy Cox
This sounds like a really delicious, witty read by the deputy editor of Cosmopolitan UK. It's about a dead girl stuck in limbo until she can solve her own murder. Help comes in the form of Nancy, Lorna, Tess and Edison - all dead, too. I've had this featured on my Grim Reaper post and I'm really eager to finally get to read this!

Arise by Tara Hudson
I really enjoyed Hereafter (review here) and I am so happy I finally got a review copy of the second book is the series. Can't wait to find out how Amelia and Joshua's (love) story continues :)
*big thanks to HarperTeen and Housing Works Bookshop Cafe for sending me these ARCs!

Gifted:
The squeal I emitted over this massive package could be heard though out the entire neighbour-hood! THANK YOU SO MUCH Becky from Stories & Sweeties! THANK YOU!!!
When Becky announced that she'd go to ALA I jokingly told her to get me a copy of The Archived, please, never thinking she actually would because I live so far away. But she did! Seriously, I can't stop staring at all the goodies she's sent me! O.O
There's this huge canvas bag with the first two covers of Ilsa Brick's Ashes Trilogy and bookmarks from Grave Mercy (loved this book so much!), The Wizard of Dark Street, Innocent Darkness, and a SIGNED one from Anna Dressed In Blood! And then there is an actual hardcopy ARC of

The Archived by Victoria Schwab
Victoria Schwab's The Near Witch was the first ever ARC I read (review here) and I fell in love with it instantly. Schwab has a way of story-telling that transports you to the place she created and you just forget about the rest of the world. I've only just read the first 50 pages (at the time of writing this) of The Archived, but it's already in my top 5 of 2013 releases! Seriously, I want to crawl into this book and never come back out! Please?
I am so glad this is going to be a series! But Book 2 is coming out in 2014!!! >.<

Once again, Becky, I don't know where to start to say THANK YOU, I am hugely indebted to you!

Won:
This package also caused quite a squeal! At the beginning of June I won a copy of FADE OUT by Nova Ren Suma from Nova herself and this package finally arrived, too, after customs has held it for ages :P (sometimes I wonder what they think I'm getting all the time LOL) And look at the pretty, pretty Imaginary Girls (review here) bookmark she sent, too! :D Once again: THANK YOU NOVA!!!

I've already finished reading Fade Out and I loved it to bits! It's a contemporary MG and it's exquisitely written! So can't wait to get a copy of Nova's new book, too! Is it March 2013 yet?

Recently Read
The Game of Triumphs by Laura Powell: Absolutely loved this! I had my eyes on it for a while and now the US paperback has been released and I read it in pretty much one sitting! It's hard to describe, real London over-layered with a supernatural card game that lets you win your heart's desire but might be fatal if you lose! It's really well written and I loved going in and out of the Arcanum. Book 2, Master of Misrule, is already in my review-inbox! :D

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross: I didn't realise how much I missed this world until I got back into it! I love Finley, Griffin, Emily, Sam & Jasper and this book was just as good as The Girl in the Steel Corset! I admit I had a pretty early inkling about the main twist of the story, but still, it's well written and a joy to watch the characters unfold and entangle with each other! Harlequin Teen already whispered me that there's going to be a 3rd book :)

Fade Out by Nova Ren Suma: As I said above I won this from Nova and it is a really, really great read! I love Nova's writing voice, her descriptions are beautiful and Dani is such a believable character, a true 13-year-old, serious and silly at the same time, deeply caring and loyal yet as stubborn as they come. The only thing I missed a little was that creepy intrigue from Imaginary Girls - I'm so glad it will be back in 17 & Gone!

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen: Unfortunately a DNF for me. After 50 pages I felt absolutely nothing for the characters or what was going on and I felt dangling and left alone. After forcing myself twice to pick it up again I finally gave it a pass. Sorry.

Recent Blog Activity
Cover Appreciation: 17 & Gone by Nova Ren Suma
Waiting on Wednesday: #35 Foretold by Jana Oliver
Books & Love Letters: #43 [CampNaNo ate my Soul]


Alright, that's it from me this week. Long post O.O But yay, so many pretty books :D
Leave me a comment and I'm sure to check back to your post!

7 comments:

  1. Never heard of "The Dead Girls Detective Agency" before, but it does sound very interesting! Do you think you'll have time for it soon or is it all writing all the time..?

    Good luck with CampNaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow- so many book goodies there- I love that bag!
    I can't wait to read Arise. But I still need to read The Near Witch, especially if the sequel is out soon.
    Enjoy your new books!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome haul this week!!! I hope you enjoy ARISE and Tiger Lily! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very, very welcome, Nickey!! :D I glad to hear you're already enjoying Archived! :) I can't wait to read Tiger Lily, looks so amazing. Fade Out looks great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really great haul! *jealous* :)

    Enjoy your reads and have a great week!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading Dead Girl's Detective Angency. You received some awesome books this week!

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a great haul! I am very jealous, you got several books I want. I loved The Near Witch, so I can't wait to read Archived and I really want Tiger Lily as well. Also, I tagged you for an award! http://whatsontheshelf.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...