Thursday, 11 August 2011

Book Review: Wynter Chelsea. The Legacy by Becca Ritchie

US Paperback
Title:
The Legacy
(Wynter Chelsea Series #1)
Author:
Becca Ritchie
Source:
Bought
Publication History:
US Kindle October 18th 2008 by Outskirts Press
US Paperback October 19th 2008 by Outskirts Press
Genre:
YA, Supernatural, Urban Fantasy
Rating:
5/5*****

Review:
I really, really enjoyed reading this book. I didn't know much about it when I started tracking down a hardcopy of this, I had read only one review and checked the rating on Goodreads, but somehow I had the feeling that this would be just right for me, and it was!
It is hard to believe that Ritchie was only fourteen when she wrote this, the writing is excellent, the plot engaging and fast-paced and the characters and their intertwining relationships well developed. I love all kinds of demon hunting families and these two definitely don't have to hide! In short, this book is amazing!
I loved the mystery that surrounded Amanda and the way she was sheltered away from the fighting. Her frustration over being left out was palpable on every page. It was a huge relief when she finally got into the hunting, too, although it set a terrible chain reaction loose and makes her wonder if joining the legacy was really worth the price.
There are creatures and demons everywhere and the action of tracking and hunting barely ever stops - and when it does we get to learn about the legacy, the families and their relationships instead.
Amanda and Dustin are just the cutest couple, although their relationship is complicated by their developing abilities and the circumstances of the legacy. But it never takes complete centre stage and is a natural part of the plot that even forms its own dynamics with Amanda's older brother Jack. Dustin's brother Trevor is the funny guy in the quartet and the one bringing on the comic relief when things get too dark or too emotional. The parents only make small appearances in the beginning and towards the ending, but their presence in their children's lives is undeniable.
Seriously, this book is fast-paced, thrilling, dark and once you pick it up you won't put it back down! I don't know why I haven't heard about this before, it is an amazing work and definitely deserves much, much more attention.
And you don't even have to wait for a sequel: Part Two, The Sublimity, is out for purchase and Ritchie is already working on the third title in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...