Friday, 13 April 2012

Book Review: The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark

ARC
Title:
The Demon Lover
Series:
Fairwick Chronicles #1
Author:
Juliet Dark
Source:
ARC, Publisher via netGalley
Publication History:
US Paperback July 21st 2011 by Ebury Press*
US Paperback December 27th by Random House Publishing Group
Genre:
Adult, Paranormal Romance/ Erotica



Review:
I came across THE DEMON LOVER on a couple of my favourite blogs and requested it on a whim from netGalley when the title popped up. Although not specifically labeled as YA I didn't expect it to fall too much out of line with the rest of the "paranormal romance" books currently out there.
It does. This is an adult fantasy novel and it has some very graphic sexual content (hence my genre labeling).

However, I did enjoy this book very much. It's dark, sexy urban fantasy with a fairytale-ish twist that made it all the more interesting. There are two things that fascinate me most. While the character creation was rather average, the world building was done exceptionally well. First, a lot of research was obviously involved in this, well-thought-out fairy types (there are a lot that don't often play into popular culture), literary references and two clashing magical groupings. Secondly, the Incubus demon and his rather unusual character development. I really enjoyed the toeing of the line between being a demon and trying to change for the one woman he appears to/ actually loves.
Both these elements tie well together into the overall story arc that takes a lot of turns (although I had some parts figured out pretty quickly) but also leaves room for the series to develop.
The situation between Callie, the main protagonist, and Liam the demon is far from resolved. The evil fairy queen and her deceptions are still in the picture and then there is Callie's mum and her witches. Can Callie find a way to save Liam, does she want to? And which side will she pick if the fairies and witches happen to stumble onto the war path?

This is an exciting beginning for a sexy adult urban fantasy series and I hope that there are more books to come.

Shelfability: Acquire.




*published as "Incubus" by Carol Goodman


1 comment:

  1. Great review Nickey, my guest reviewer Pauline read it and enjoyed it too, I think she was shocked by the very graphic sexual content though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...