![]() |
| ARC |
Spellcaster
Series:
Spellbound #2
Author:
Cara Lynn Shultz
Source:
ARC, Publisher via netGalley
Publication History:
US Paperback Mach 27th 2012 by Harlequin Teen
Genre:
YA, Urban Fantasy, Romance
Review:
SPELLCASTER is the second book in the Spellcaster series that revolves around Emma Connor and Brendan Salinger, two New York teens bound together by a centuries old curse that makes the pair of star-crossed lovers come to find each other and then die violently over and over again. Emma and Brendan managed to break the curse in the last book and Spellcaster picks up again where Spellbound left off.
The first 100 pages see the pair getting settled into their new, curse-free relationship, which unfortunately made for a slow start, especially since Shultz did a lot of recap, which might come in handy for some readers but I found it slowing even more.
Luckily things start to pick up when Emma starts to pick up magic in earnest under Angelique's intensive tutoring. And just in time. Spellcaster sees the emergence of a new opponent for Emma and Brendan, a real-live one that is after their true love - and it will take all of Emma's new-acquired magical skills to come out of this battle alive. A thrilling sequence in the middle of the book has Emma fighting against a possessed Brendan and the final show-down on the roofs of New York reveals just how much her character has grown. Still, there is much left to be desired. Once again I'm left wishing to see more of Ethan, Emma's dead brother and once again this feels more like a stand-alone than a continuing series. The story finishes with a neat, round ending and I feel like I have no clue about where Shultz might be picking up again and what to expect from a third installment. I really enjoyed the premises of the books but at times it feels like Shutz is scrambling to find story to tell.
Spellbound was on of my favourite YA Urban Fantasies of 2011 and with a trim of about 100 pages Spellcaster could have been equally great. All hopes are on the 3rd book.
Shelfability: Aquire (if you are sure you want to continue this series)
/ Borrow.

I'm actually looking forward to the recap you've mentioned - even though I remember really enjoying the first book, I forgot so much that happened and definitely need a reminder. :D
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for your honest review though! :) I was surprised to see that there was going to be a second book, because I always liked the ending of the first book, but a series of standalones isn't too bad either. Makes the wait more bearable. :D Definitely need to pick up my eARC of this soon. :)
Oh my. I'm SO bad. I still haven't read the first book until now. I know that so many of my blogger friends loved it, raved about it. I'll look into this series. Great review!
ReplyDelete