Thursday, 24 May 2012

Book Review: Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

American ARC
Title:
Imaginary Girls
Series:
stand-alone
Author:
Nova Ren Suma
Source:
ARC, bought from charity shop
Publishing History:
US Hardback June 14th 2011 by Dutton Juvenile
AUS Paperback July 2011 by Pier9
US Paperback June 14th 2012 by SPEAK
Genre:
YA, Thriller, Suspense


Review:
Writing this review has given me a headache for two weeks; but first of all I'd like to clarify: yes, I bought this ARC. I bought it from a charity shop. I know that selling ARCs is frowned upon but it was donated to the shop and they will use my money to build homes. So all is good in this little exchange.

Now the review. As I said, it has given me a major headache. I honestly can't tell you if this book is awesome or seriously messy. But let me explain this in a little more detail.
Summarising the plot is hard; really hard. Because there is so little of it. Basically it is about two sisters, Chloé and Ruby, living in a small, relatively isolated town. One night out something goes wrong and a dead girl is found. And from there on it's all about Chloé slowly figuring out Ruby's secret. The story is really a chain of creepy little incidents and revelations that finally bring on... uhm yeah, the exactly is the big problem with the book. There is no real ending, no solution and no closure. It just fades out, like a real little nightmare. And you are left wondering what really happened. Is Chloé slowly going insane, is Ruby really powerful, who is really dead, who ever was and who isn't? Like with a proper nightmare you can't tell what's real, what's just in Chloé's head and what's just in your own.
It's frustrating - extremely so. At the same time it makes the book very appealing. Even after turning the last page you keep wondering. Not because of the captivating plot but of the way Nova Ren Suma tells it. Her writing voice is so graceful, delicate almost, yet deliciously creepy! It worms its way into your head and stays there. Even if the plot doesn't have much substance, it is incredibly well written and just beautiful to observe.

I have no idea if I'm making any sense here. As I said on GoodReads, it's extremely confusing and frustrating, yet at the same time I'm so enchanted by the voice that is talking to me from the pages that I can't turn away. I'll definitely be reading more by Nova Ren Suma, just to hear that voice again, and even though I wish for more plot I'm not sure if it is going to work for this kind on story.

Shelfability: Acquire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...