Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Book Review: Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Advanced Reading Copy
Title:
Kill Me Softly
Series:
stand-alone
Author:
Sarah Cross
Source:
ARC, Publisher via netGalley
Publication History:
US Hardback April 19th 2012 by EgmontUSA
Genre:
YA Fantasy/ Fairy tales





Review:
The first thing I noticed about KILL ME SOFTLY was the cover. It was in a cover reveal post and stuck with me immediately. Then I read the synopsis and I was literally going O.O
I have a thing for fairy tales and my motto is: The darker, the better! 
However, KILL ME SOFTLY is not just a mere re-telling of one fairy tale. Oh no, I sure didn't see that one coming: The town in which the story is set, Beau Rivage, is a fairy tale town and all its inhabitants have their life follow the same pattern as one fairy tale character. Their fate and the character's are twisted into one stand and once they have identified their character they know for sure what's coming. If you are Snow White, for example, you know that the apple is coming; or if you are the Beast from Beauty and the Beast you know that the hair is coming. For the teens in town this makes for a morbidly funny outlook in life. They know it is inevitable and out of their hands, so they make the best of it.
And into that stumbles Mirabelle, an outside. Born in Beau Rivage yet grown up somewhere else, somewhere safe. Looking for her parents' graves.

I really enjoyed reading KILL ME SOFTLY. Although I had my problems with Mira, she grew up so very protected from the fairy world that she doesn't even know the basics of fairy tales and therefore stumbles around rather clueless at the beginning, it got much, much better once she caught on to the twisted fates of her new friends. I loved that she was determined in pursuing what she wanted and I was excited to see her grow and change throughout the story.
Her love interests, the brothers Blue and Felix, were great too. I picked my side right from the start and couldn't be convinced otherwise. Their background story was amazing and I never once guessed their fairy tale until it was actually revealed. When I was finally told all the clues and warnings fell into place like a puzzle and I actually smacked my forehead.
The other side characters had really well written stories too and I wouldn't mind if Cross decided to pick one or the other up for a second book. I would love to see more of Blue's band members!

In the grand total I can say that, aside from a few minor flaws and unresolved story strands, this book is really great and shouldn't be missing on any self-respecting fantasy-lover's book shelf.

Shelfability: Acquire!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this as much as I did! I loved Blue, he was such a great character. I would definitely love it if the author decided to write more books about these characters. I was definitely left with more than a few questions. :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...