Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Book Review: Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby

UK Review Copy
Titel:
Shooting Stars
Series:
stand-alone
Author:
Allison Rushby
Source:
Review Copy from Author
Publication History:
US Hardback February 28th 2012 by Walker Books
US Paperback February 28th 2012 by Walker Books
Genre:
YA, Contenporary



Review:
I received this review copy from Allison Rushby in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

On first sight SHOOTING STARS looks like your typical YA contemp: multicoloured, fun and probably with a sigh-worthy romantic ending. All this is true for Shooting Stars. But there is so much more to discover! The story is centred on 16-years-old Josephine Foster, in the paparazzi business called Zo Jo. She shoots stars to make money for her big dream, becoming a professional portrait photographer. And she needs a lot of money for taking classes and travelling. So when a $60k deal is dangled in front of her nose, she just can't say no - even though her moral compass is going berserk. Said deal sends her to a retreat facility to secretly shoot teen heartthrob Ned Hartnett who is "retreating" for unknown issues.
What Jo doesn't expect is that she has to participate in retreat activities and group session, too, and suddenly her own kicking, screaming "issue" comes to the surface.

Seriously, from the synopsis on the jacked an easy romance between Ned and Jo looks like what to expect. But when Jo's bitter truth spills out - in one unguarded moment - it feels like a punch to the gut. Gone are fluff and romance; and the feelings Jo's outburst spills will linger with you and change your whole perception of her. But Jo is not the only one with an ugly truth. Ned, too, has a secret that isn't easy to stomach and might throw everything off balance once more.
I really enjoyed this book. Not because of a happy, fluffy ending but because of a hopeful one. One where broken pieces find their way back together.


Shelfability: Acquire!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, but I'm not so happy that your review made me want to buy a copy of it immediately. :D My poor bank account. LOL
    It sounds really awesome, so thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll get a copy sometime this year (despite my huge tbr-pile...)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...