![]() |
| Advance Reading Copy |
Die For Me
(Revenants Series #1)
Author:
Amy Plum
Publication History:
UK Paperback May 5th 2011 by ATOM
US Hardback May 10th 2011 by HarperTeen
Kindle May 10th by Harper Collins, Inc
Genre:
YA, Supernatural, Romance
Review:
The thing I heard most about this book before I got my hands on an ARC was: Twilight with zombies. If you have read my previous reviews you can guess my reaction: I rolled my eyes. But this is not going to turn into another rant about how everything can be compared to Twilight if you look long and hard enough. This story stands in its own right.
The first thing I liked about this book is that it is set in modern day Paris. A city I haven't yet been to but which I would very much like to visit. I think I haven't had a book set in Paris yet either, so this was especially exciting. Plums descriptions of the city are vivid and I felt like I was actually walking in the streets of Paris.
Then there is the heroine of this book, Kate, who is coping with the death of both her parents where the story starts. She is a likable and very believable character, seeking refuge in her books and museums, other than her sister Georgia who is acting out and partying like there is no tomorrow.
Although later on Kate and Vincent, a mysterious Parisian boy who catches her eye pretty early on, do develop a supernatural connection that even they consider unusual, their meeting is actually a chance meeting and their budding relationship isn't some kind of forced destiny. Kate actually leaves Vincent when she feels that she can't cope with the supernatural.
The supernatural world that interlaces with modern-day Paris is very well thought out, too. The Revenants set against their mortal enemies feels natural and the explanations given follow believable structures. While the particulars of Kate and Vincent's connection and shared abilities are still in the dark I believe they make waiting for the next installment "Until I Die" all the more exciting.
This is definitely not another Twilight, just with zombies, and having said that I can't wait to add this and Until I Die to my "favourites" book-shelf.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey