![]() |
| UK Paperback |
Rivers of London
Series:
Peter Grant #1
Author:
Ben Aaronovitch
Source:
Purchase
Publication History:
UK Hardback January 10th 2011 by Gollancz
US Paperback February 1st 2011 by Del Ray*
UK Paperback August 25th 2011 by Gollancz
GER Paperback January 1st 2012 by DTV
Genre:
Mystery/ Thriller, Supernatural
Review:
This book has been recommended to me by amazon.co.uk and came totally out of the blue because it is neither strictly YA nor did I indicate any interest in crime series (I think the only other crime writers I ever tried were Kathy Reichs, Joy Fielding and Tana French, and they are nothing like this) before. I don't even have any Sherlock Holmes in my amazon history. So: very odd. But then I came across this book in a book shop I used to frequent before I moved to London and so I snatched it up because I recognised it from amazon. Now I can say that was a wise decision.
Peter Grant, the main protagonist, can best be described as a thorough blend of Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes. Starting out as a normal police officer fresh from the academy his first real case sees him taking a witness statement from a ghost. You can see where this leads: Peter gets sucked into the magical side of London before he even realises it.
And what a beauty Aaronovitch created with his magical London. I don't want to give too much away but you should take the title of the novel quite literally, the rivers of London play big parts in this book.
The ordinary streets Peter walks suddenly overflow with creatures of London's history, folklore and some very own spice of magic Aaronovitch added. You walk past Argos in Camden in one moment and enter the lair of a magical creature with the next step.
And like in real life relationships are tangled, loyalties shift and sometimes it's hard to tell what is possible and what not. The characters are beautifully flawed, which makes them all the more realistic in their crazy world, and so English you want to grab them and never let go.
But I shouldn't forget to also mention the great cast of characters that populate these pages: Peter's co-worker and best friend Lesley, his new mentor Inspector Nightingale and his "interesting" housekeeper Molly (she's great, I adore her!) and Dr Walid. There are many more characters but stating their names here might spoil the effect of the story.
Ben Aaronovitch is a highly talented wold-builder and story-teller and in some passages he well reminds me of Neil Gaiman. I definitely can't wait to get started on the volume Moon over SoHo.
Best read with a cup of tea and a scone or two at hand.
Shelfability: Covet.
*published as "Midnight Riot".

Wow! I hadn't heard of this book before this review, but it seems very intense and interesting. I will have to check it out! Thanks for your review, I'm glad that you enjoyed it!
ReplyDelete