Thursday, 7 July 2011

Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

UK Paperback
Title:
Paranormalcy
(Paranormalcy Series #1)
Author:
KierstenWhite
Source:
Bought
Publication History:
US Hardcover August 31st 2010 by HarperTeen
US Kindle September 2nd 2010 by HarperCollins Inc.
UK Paperback January 6th 2011 by HarperCollins Children's
Genre:
YA, Supernatural
Rating:
3/5***

Review:
I had heard many good things about this book before I picked it up but somehow this book wasn't for me.
I can't even say what it is that put me off, I just never really got into it. I never really connected with Evie, nor did I find it particularly thrilling or scary.
The fact that Evie is anything but "normal" didn't come as much of a surprise to me and since a large part of the plot is centered around Evie's quest for normalcy it just never really took off for me.
I found the "two-sides-of-a-coin" concept with her "sister" very interesting, put that strand of the plot got introduced very late and ended much, much to easily.

None the less, the writing is well executed and the plot surely had its moments. But one cute guy won't elevate this story past three stars. If you're looking for a quick supernatural fix, then this book is right for you. If you're looking for something with a few more layers and surprises - then not so much.

5 comments:

  1. Still undecided if I want to read this book or not. Not sure if it is for me, but I keep hearing good things about it.

    Do you plan on reading the second one, Supernaturally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kristina: I'm not sure yet. I have it on my publishing schedule but it is way down the priority list at the moment... It really depends on how much I have on my tbr pile...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this one, it's a shame that you didn't. Hopefully the second book may be better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a lot of good reviews of this one, but it never sounded like something I really needed to read. Still, maybe someday. It's not a priority, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that I had similar problems with connecting with the characters, although I have to admit that I developed a little crush on Reth. :D But I also really loved Kiersten's writing, so I'll definitely need to read Supernaturally.

    Carina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...