![]() |
| Advance Reading Copy |
Title:
The Girl in the Steel Corset
(The Steampunk Chronicles #1)
Author:
Kady Cross
Source:
Publisher via NetGalley
Publication History:
US Hardcover May 24th 2011 by Harlequin Teen
Kindle June 1st 2011 by Harlequin Teen
US Paperback June 1st by Harlequin Teen
UK Paperback June 17th by MIRA
Genre:
YA, Steampunk, Supernatural
Rating:
5/5*****
Review:
After reviewing The Strange Case of Finley Jayne last week I am going to talk about The Girl in the Steel Corset today and the first thing I want to say is: The book is even better than the novella! Seriously, I don't give 5 stars easily but this book deserved them!
The first thing that comes to mind when asked to describe The Girl in the Steel Corset is X-Men meets Steampunk in Victorian London - therefore: perfect for me :)
I loved the plot, fast paced, dark and constantly on the verge of changing course; I love the characters, a rag-tag band of youngsters from all social groups developing super-powers and working for Queen Victoria to keep the Empire safe plus a very charming criminal dandy that won my heart in stride; I love the little romances blooming all over the plot without taking center stage; and I love the writing style which is fresh, unpretentious and harmonises with the all-over feel of the work.
My only point of criticism, as usual: why oh why do the heros and heroines have to struggle with their beautiful abilities? Seriously, if you come across a book where a protagonist is actually excited about their abilities, even if they have a darker nature, and the plot revolves around another mysterious happenings, please send them my way! I want a smart, centered heroine that has an idea of who she is, even if it's vague, and who has something entirely else to worry about, please!
*okay, rant is over*
In other words, apart from my little rant, the book is pretty perfect and I can't wait for the next installment!
Now go and leave a comment!
Review:
After reviewing The Strange Case of Finley Jayne last week I am going to talk about The Girl in the Steel Corset today and the first thing I want to say is: The book is even better than the novella! Seriously, I don't give 5 stars easily but this book deserved them!
The first thing that comes to mind when asked to describe The Girl in the Steel Corset is X-Men meets Steampunk in Victorian London - therefore: perfect for me :)
I loved the plot, fast paced, dark and constantly on the verge of changing course; I love the characters, a rag-tag band of youngsters from all social groups developing super-powers and working for Queen Victoria to keep the Empire safe plus a very charming criminal dandy that won my heart in stride; I love the little romances blooming all over the plot without taking center stage; and I love the writing style which is fresh, unpretentious and harmonises with the all-over feel of the work.
My only point of criticism, as usual: why oh why do the heros and heroines have to struggle with their beautiful abilities? Seriously, if you come across a book where a protagonist is actually excited about their abilities, even if they have a darker nature, and the plot revolves around another mysterious happenings, please send them my way! I want a smart, centered heroine that has an idea of who she is, even if it's vague, and who has something entirely else to worry about, please!
*okay, rant is over*
In other words, apart from my little rant, the book is pretty perfect and I can't wait for the next installment!
Now go and leave a comment!

Amazing review. I adore this book.
ReplyDeleteP.S. How can I get the Novella?
E-mail me over;
Le.Vanity.Victorienne@gmail.com to tell me, please.
I loved !! this book...cant wait for sequel....KAdy wrote it very well.
ReplyDeletegreat review:D
Michelle A.
I have this one on my Kindle and I can't wait to get to it. Sounds amazing!
ReplyDeleteOh lookie I have already commented...loL!!!
ReplyDeleteMichelle A.
p.s. The SLowest Bookworm..it truly is most awesome book:D
This has been on my TBR pile for a while now. But I'm going to read it soon, because I really want to read more Steampunk. Interesting description: Xmen+ Victorian
ReplyDelete