![]() |
| US Paperback |
Once A Witch
(Witch Series #1)
Author:
Carolyn MacCullough
Source:
Bought
Publication History:
US Hardback September 14th 2009 by Clarion Books
Kindle September 14th 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
US Paperback September 6th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Genre:
YA, Supernatural
Rating:
4/5****
Review:
I really enjoyed Once A Witch - once I got past the point where Tamsin, the protagonist, discovers her own magical abilities.
Tamsin Greene grew up in a family of powerful witches, believing that she is the only one without talent; the big failure, the big disappointment. Why is it always the girls that have to start the stories weak and clueless and on the outside? It's something that really pisses me off. I understand that it sets the dynamics within the family, but I'm sure there are other ways to get a plot started.
Anyway, apart from that fact the story was great. MacCullough has created a gripping story that takes us back and fourth through time, chasing a mysterious object that may or may not change the fate of the Greene family and their rivals the Knights, another (once) powerful family of witches forever.
The characters and their relationships are well developed and I loved the fact that Tamsin and Gabriel's love was a slow developer and and not some big, prophesied inevitability.
I haven't had a pure witch novel in quite a while and this one was definitely a good one to get back into this supernatural field. I'm now looking forward to Always a Witch, the next installment in the series.

Sounds pretty good. That's funny how you got pissed off by the way she started the book and I agree, there are other ways to show character growth without making the character weak and dumb to start out. One of my favorite recent reads was The Girl in the Steel Corset and it was in part because the girls in that book are so strong and independent right from the beginning. I just reviewed that one too if you care to know more about it, but it was really good. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier as well. :)
ReplyDelete-Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com
I read this one shortly after it came out, and I really enjoyed it, too! Definitely looking forward to the next one!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you enjoyed this! I really love the series.. The second book is great too!
ReplyDeleteI read Once A Witch a few months ago and LOVED it !
ReplyDeleteI got the same copy as you the cover is stunning :).