Friday, 17 June 2011

Book Review: Summer and The City by Candace Bushnell

US Paperback
Title:
Summer and The City
(Carrie Diaries Series #2)
Author:
Candace Bushnell
Source:
Bought
Publication History:
CA Hardcover April 26th 2011 by HarperCollins Canada
CA/US Kindle April 26th 2011 by Harper Collins Inc.
US Hardcover April 28th 2011 by Harper Collins Children's
US Paperback April 28th 2011 by Harper Collins Children's
US Paperback May 7th 2011 by Harper Collins USA
Genre:
YA, Chick-lit
Rating:
4/5****

Review:
Summer and The City is a great sequel to The Carrie Diaries. It has Bushnell's trademark wit and brilliant observations, yet somehow Carrie's wit is missing. At the end of book one Carrie wrote these really great articles for her school newspaper and you could really feel the spark she had for writing and how she was growing up in a way.
When coming to New York Carrie suddenly seems to lose all of this great new spark. She is overwhelmed by the situation, the New School and men. While being overwhelmed by the men that surround her seems pretty normal for Ms Bradshaw, it's sad to see her struggling with life in general.
I know that she is still a teen in these books and we all needed to build our confidence first, but it really felt like a downfall in her development arc from book 1 to book 2.
None the less the book was an entertaining read, a must-read for SATC (even if the book isn't completely coherent with the series' lore) and the meeting occurring on the last pages hints at a possible third book. I'd love to meet that character as a teen, too!

3 comments:

  1. I loved The Carrie Diaries and I'm looking forward to reading this one soon. Sounds like a great summer read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to give these books a go but I don't know how much I will enjoy them. I never read the adult book but I loved the TV show! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another series I've got on my wishlist. I am a SATC fan and Carrie's pre SATC life sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...