Friday, 13 May 2011

Book Review: Hereafter by Tara Hudson

4/5**** One ghost's journey out of her increasingly terrifying Hereafter

Advance Reading Copy
Title:
Hereafter
(Hereafter Series #1)
Author:
Tara Hudson
Source: 
NetGalley ARC
Publication History:
US Hardback June 7th 2011 by HarperCollins
Kindle June 7th 2011 by Harper Collins, Inc.
UK Paperback July 7th 2011 by HarperCollins UK
GER Hardback August 29th 2011 by Heyne
Genre:
YA, Supernatural, Romance

Review:
I really enjoyed this book. The writing is well executed, the pace is steady and the plot twists keep you on your toes.
Amelia, the main protagonist, is a highly believable character and I'm delighted to say that you can watch her change and grow throughout the book. She has been an unaware ghost for quite a while when she saves Joshua from drowning and her world turns once more upside down when he turns out to be the first human alive to be able to see her. Instead of whining and relying on Joshua to remove the obstacles thrown in their path she becomes active herself, faces the other ghost in her afterlife, the evil in the river and even Joshua's unusually talented family.
Amelia and Joshua's relationship and is not a Formula 1 race but grows organically with lots of awkward and funny moments between them.
The most moving part is where Joshua takes Amelia to see her mother for the first time since her death. They are unable to interact so Joshua has to come up with a random story to talk to her and all the while Amelia fights with her conflicting wishes of seeing her mother and not inflict any more pain than there already is.

All in all this is a stunning debut with the right mix of Supernatural and Romance. I'm hoping very much for the next book that Hudson will further explore the unusual talents that both Amelia and Joshua and his family display.
Absolutely worth reading.

1 comment:

  1. hereafter has a great premise. i'm really interested in reading this book. thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
I absolutely love comments. The more the merrier. If you leave a comment under my reviews I will love you to bits!
I read all comments and I try to reply to as many and as fast as possible.
-Nickey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...